Monday 16 November 2015

Exit Slip - What is the Question?



Many times, I want to do a quick check to see if my students have the knowledge and understanding that I want them to have on a given topic.  There are lots of quick "exit slip" activities that I have used, and this is one of my favourites.

I call this assessment activity "What is the Question?".  It allows for differentiation, because students can "question the answer" at their own level.

For this activity, I write an answer on the board.  This answer is the topic that I want to ensure that my students understand.  For example, I might put up the name of a character.  I tell students that this is the answer to a question, and I need them to tell me what the question might be.  I like to use mini whiteboards with this activity - each student has a mini whiteboard, writes their answer down, and holds it up for me to see.  This ensures that every student answers the question, but students don't have to worry about other students seeing their own answer.  I can do a quick scan to see where my students are and move on with my lesson.

Food for thought... what are your favourite exit slip activities?

No comments:

Post a Comment